This vegan Mushroom & Champagne Risotto takes time to prepare, but oh so worth it!
- 200 g risotto rice (arborio, carnaroli or vialone nana)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1/2 cup boiling water for 20 minutes (optional)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 golden onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh (or frozen) mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 250 ml vegan champagne (if a good sparkling wine is good too)
- 20 g vegan butter or margarine
- small handful Italian parsley, chopped
- warm water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese – plus more for serving (optional)
- In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
- Warm 1 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid, and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and stir in the onion. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth (or warm water when the broth is finished) 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 20 to 25 minutes. (depending on your rice and the heat setting of your stove)
- Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add parmesan cheese. Stir to coat.
- Serve immediately with parsley.