Delicious ground rice dessert. Traditional dessert from Mauritius.
Clarel: “Ounde is Mauritian traditional cake, this cake was eaten by young kids of my generation. Now I am a bit old, but long long ago every child while going to school, on the way we stopped at the shop and use our pocket money to by Ounde. So this was very popular dessert in Mauritius. Nowadays we don’t find Ounde in the shops anymore, but people still cook it at home.”
- 125 g ground rice
- 250 ml milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 glass of water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or cardamon powder
- 4-5 tbsp finely grated coconut
- Put the ground rice in a heavy frying pan and place the pan over a medium flame. Stir the ground rice and keep roasting until it turns a few shades darker. Add 250 ml milk, 3 Tbsp milk, 1 tsp vanilla essence (or cardamom powder), stir it and add 250 ml water.
- Keep stirring until all the moisture evaporates and mixture leaves the side of the pan. Let it cool for 30 minutes.
- Form into small balls and roll into grated coconut.
Watch how to make this recipe:
Tourism business owner from Mauritius.