Tasty and easy dessert from Mauritius made of vermicelli (angel hair) pasta lightly spiced with cardamom.
- 200 g angel hair vermicelli broken into 10 cm lengths
- 500 ml milk
- 75 g sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp cardamom powder
- 3 Tbs crushed almonds
- 2 Tbs crushed peanuts
- 5 Tbs crushed raisins
- 400 ml water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Put the broken vermicelli in a heavy frying pan and place the pan over a medium flame. Stir the vermicelli and keep roasting until it turns a few shades darker.
- Pour 500 ml milk, stir and continue to cook over low heat. While stirring slowly add: 75 g sugar, 1/2 Tbsp cardamom powder, 3 Tbs crushed almonds, 2 Tbs crushed peanuts, 5 Tbs crushed raisins, 400 ml water and 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Continue to cook for another minute.
- Mixture will look dried out, the liquid would have absorbed, if the mixture coats the back of a spoon thickly without dripping, then remove from heat and pour into a dish that will allow your vermicelli to be about 1 1/2 inches in thickness.
- Let this sit out for about 2-3 hours to firm up, or you can put it into the refrigerator to firm up faster.
- Cut and enjoy.
Watch how to make this recipe:
Tourism business owner from Mauritius.